As part of the Master Settlement Agreement between the States and the tobacco companies, the industry was required to make the documents used during the trials avialable. They posted the documents on their websites, but searching required going to several different sites, each with a different interface.
That same agreement required the industry to turn over a snapshot of their sites as of July, 1999. Tobacco Documents Online (TDO) spent over a year standardizing the document descriptions to allow uniform searching, and through the American Legacy Foundation, obtained tapes of the document images. TDO offers powerful searching across all the companies, access to high-quality images, OCR, and the ability to collect and annotate documents. The tools here have been built for document researchers, and are available to anyone with a web browser.
While you may search the collection as a visitor, we strongly encourage you to register with TDO (free) through Smokefree.net. Benefits of using the site as registered user include:
- Speed! Certain operations are optimized for registered users.
- Full Text Highlighting. Other systems search only titles, but TDO searches the full text of millions of pages of documents, and more are added every day! Registered users get search results highlighted for finding the relevant pages.
- OCR On Demand. Most documents will automatically be OCR'd (converted from an image to text) simply by being registered and viewing a document. Then you can easily cut-and-paste the text you want!
- Access to Other Collections. Some collections are restricted. For example, only registered users can access the Trial Testimony and Depositions collection, a powerful collection of industry executives being grilled in court.
- Advanced Tools. Registered users can annotate documents they find, e-mail them to themselves or others, and save their searches.
Smokefree.net registration is quick and simple. All you need is a valid e-mail account and cookies enabled. If you've already registered with TDO or Smokefree.net, click here to log in or create a new account.